FAQs – Certificate Students

I’m not sure who my advisor is. How do I find this out?

Students enrolled in the Advanced Certificate Program should reach out to Matthew Paczkowski for advisement. You can set up an appointment with an advisor here, stop by the Advising Office during the posted drop-in hours, or email advising@sph.cuny.edu.

I’m nervous that I’m not on track to graduate. Who should I speak with?

You should definitely speak with an advisor. We’ll ask that you review the Advanced Certificate Program of Study Worksheet prior to your appointment.

How do I register for classes?

Visit the registration page for resources on how to register for classes through CUNY First. If you are still facing difficulties, you should reach out to the SPH Registrar or an advisor.

How do I know which classes to register for?

We recommend Advanced Certificate students follow the course sequence below:

EOHS 610: Fundamentals of Environmental Health (3 credits)
CHSS 610: Fundamentals of Social and Behavioral Health (3 credits)
HPAM 610: Fundamentals of Health Policy and Management (3 credits)
EPID 610: Fundamentals of Epidemiology (3 credits)
BIOS 610: Fundamentals of Biostatistics (3 credits)

Will all my required courses be offered every semester?

Yes, the five required Advanced Certificate courses are offered every semester.

Is there a limit on the number of credits I can take in a semester?

Yes, we typically recommend students take no more than 12 credits per semester. However, you can take up to 16 credits in the Fall or Spring semesters, up to 4 during the Winter, and up to 10 during the Summer. If you wish to take additional credits, you will need to submit a Credit Overload Request.

Can I transfer credits from another college?

Transfer credit requests need to be approved by the College’s Curriculum Committee. Visit this page to submit a transfer credit request.

I seem to be falling behind in class. What can I do to improve my academic standing?

First, we recommend you reach out to your professors. Additionally, the Office of Student Development offers tutoring services in writing and statistics. You may also wish to meet with an advisor to discuss study skills and time management techniques.

I’m having trouble with research. How do I navigate the library systems at CUNY SPH?

You should visit our Library Services page for more information on using our library resources. If you need further assistance, you can contact Wilfredo Rivera-Scotti, Director of Library Services.

My classes are starting soon. Where should I buy my textbooks?

All required and optional textbooks are listed on the SPH Online Bookstore. Simply log in with your CUNY First ID to order textbooks from a personalized list (based on your registered coursework). Additionally, course reserve textbooks are available for on-campus use in the 7th floor study lounge.

Wait, my question wasn’t answered here…

Send us an email at advising@sph.cuny.edu and we’ll put you in touch with the right person!