FAQs – Doctoral Students

I’m not sure who my advisor is. How do I find this out?

Your faculty advisor will be assigned during your first semester at SPH. Doctoral students can also contact their Program Director or advising@sph.cuny.edu for advising inquiries.  Program Directors are listed below:

Ghada Solimon, EOGHS

Heidi Jones, EPID

Stacey Plichta, CHHP

I’m nervous that I’m not on track to graduate. Who should I speak with?

You should definitely speak with your faculty advisor or Doctoral Director.

How do I register for classes?

Visit the registration page for resources on how to register for classes through CUNY First. If you are still facing difficulties, you should reach out to the SPH Registrar or an advisor.

How do I know which classes to register for?

We recommend new students follow the course sequence listed on this document.

Continuing students should consult the recommended course sequences listed at the links below:

PhD in Community Health and Health Policy

PhD in Environmental and Planetary Health Sciences

PhD in Epidemiology

We also suggest students speak with their faculty advisor or Program Director before registering for classes; it is especially useful to consult your faculty advisor regarding electives to ensure your selected coursework aligns with your professional goals.

Will all my required courses be offered every semester?

No, unfortunately, not all required courses are offered every semester. You should consult our schedule of required courses when planning your course load.

Is there a limit on the number of credits I can take in a semester?

Yes, we typically recommend students take no more than 12 credits per semester. However, you can take up to 16 credits in the Fall or Spring semesters, up to 4 during the Winter, and up to 10 during the Summer. If you wish to take additional credits, you will need to submit a Credit Overload Request.

Can I transfer credits from another college?

Transfer credit requests need to be approved by the College’s Curriculum Committee (for core courses) or the appropriate Department (for electives). Visit this page to submit a transfer credit request.

I seem to be falling behind in class. What can I do to improve my academic standing?

First, we recommend you reach out to your professors. Additionally, tutoring services are available in writing and statistics. You may also wish to meet with an advisor to discuss study skills and time management techniques.

I’m having trouble with research. How do I navigate the library systems at CUNY SPH?

You should visit our Library Services page for more information on using our library resources. If you need further assistance, you can contact library@sph.cuny.edu.

My classes are starting soon. Where should I buy my textbooks?

All required and optional textbooks are listed on the SPH Online Bookstore. Simply log in with your CUNY First ID to order textbooks from a personalized list (based on your registered coursework). Additionally, course reserve textbooks are available for on-campus use in the 7th floor study lounge.

Wait, my question wasn’t answered here…

Send us an email at advising@sph.cuny.edu and we’ll put you in touch with the right person!